Re: sec coil zap ouch!

Original poster: "tesla by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-paradise-dot-net.nz>

Team
Couple of cents worth
1) I doubt if surface anti static spray will fix this problem. There are
charges floating on and within the insulating structure that the secondary
is wound on. As it is a really good insulator these charges will hang around
for a long time.
2) I believe most of the shock mechanisim is caused by induction from the
charges stored in the secondary form. To say you go near the secondary and
the Static field from the form causes charges to move in you. Then you
provide the chance for these induced charges to move by finding either
another substancial structure or ground.

This is why it is so severe as the volumes invloved can be large. Believe me
I encounter this effect every day when I remove sheets from a commercial gas
dryer.

3) Because induction is involved this explains why you can cop it several
times from the same secondary. You never actually discharge it and in fact
you cant because the charges are stored on an insulator. Like the hair comb
charged by friction

4) To avoid this problem staying grounded all the time should work. If you
do this the only shocks you will receive are those caused by local
discharging by bringing an earth near static charges. You will be vulnerable
to shocks by discharging other conductive structures which have charges
inducded from the nearby secondary however.
For my money this hazard comes with the territory but I'm pleased to say
I've not had the problem
Best to all
Ted L in NZ