RE: Synch motor Phase controller question

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

John,

I'm still not following what exactly you mean by a max of 5V increase across
the motor at the variac position which
gives the highest voltage across the motor.

Do you mean select a capacitor so that I can vary the motor voltage via the
variac so for example:
At full clockwise I would get say 120VAC
And at full counterclockwise I would get say 125VAC????

Thanks

Dan

Dan,

Look for a max of 5V increase across the motor at the variac position which
gives the highest voltage across the motor.  For some set-ups you can
get away with having no resonant rise at all, and still get the full phase
range.  Also, some setups may need a 7V rise, and still not maintain
sync for the full variac range, but this is OK generally, and you'll still
get the full 90 degree electrical phase shift, or very close to it.  I've
gone
as high as a 10 volt resonant rise in some setups.  It's not super-critical.

John Freau