Corson Pulse Capacitors

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi All

I've done a bit of a gamble and have just bought nine pulse capacitors,
2x1.5nF in series per can.  These are pulse rated at 300pps at 15kV (don't
know whether this is AC or DC).  A trawl through the archive shows that
someone had something similar back in 1995, but the thread didn't go on
long enough to be conclusive.  These caps don't look exactly new, but the
way some of them are packed would suggest that they may well be unused.

These beasties were made by Corson Electric - Google can't find a site for
them, so I don't know if they're still going.

1) Does anyone think that these would be suitable for a tank cap?

2) Although steel-cased, should they be in a further steel box in case of
fragmentation?

3) If they are rated to 300pps, any break rate under this should be OK, true?

4) I'm proposing to use four 1:10 MOT's to give me 13.6kV (240-1-50 in); is
this getting a little too close to comfort to the 15kV rating?  If I use
each as a single capacitor, series jumpered (0.75nF -at- 30kV?), I can get a
total capacitance of 6.75nF.  However, if I jumper for parallel, I have
27nF, but close on voltage tolerance?

I notice that the terminals are all wired together - taking no chances!

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith            | Business: http://www.kbc-dot-net.au