Re: Ultimate hi K for maggy

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

 > During a period of insomnia overnight I was musing about the need for
 > tight compling, or high K value, in the driver portion of a magnifier
 > type T.C.  Has anyone ever tried a bifilar winding arrangement for a
 > means of achieving this?  My thought was to pull a heavily insulated
 > lead through a length of 3/8" copper tubing before winding a solenoid
 > type primary.  You would need to either employ an off-axis inductor
 > or a variable tank cap to tune, but it sure would yield a high K for
 > the driver portion.  Ideas?  Comments?

This looks as using a coaxial cable to wind the transformer. If the
system doesn't require too high voltages between primary and
secondary, looks ok. You really can use an off-axis inductor for
tuning the coupling. A too high coupling is not necessary. The
fastest possible energy transfer is obtained with k=0.67.

Some observations about magnifiers:

A magnifier is different from a regular Tesla coil only if a
capacitance is added across the secondary coil. This increases a lot
the speed of the energy transfer, and makes all the difference. See:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/magnifier.html

It's possible to eliminate the transformer, if a grounded power
supply is used:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/mres6.html

A magnifier with fast energy transfer is highly insensitive to
precise tuning. If the energy transfer takes many cycles, the
sensitivity to the tuning increases.

A magnifier generates long notches in the primary waveforms, what is
better for first notch quenching. In a conventional Tesla coil, the
beats in the primary waveforms follow the absolute value of a cosine.
In a magnifier, they follow approximately a squared cosine.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz