Re: DIY Plasma globes available

Original poster: "c d by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <vbprg1-at-hotmail-dot-com>

was kinda thinking the same thing as Ken untill I
figued I could use it as a prototype to make more.
3 balloons and $50 could probably get you
a balloon full of helium (craft store)
a balloon full of argon (welding supply or any mig/tig welder)
a balloon full of neon (any tube bending neon shop/ not sign stores)

I believe that argon and helium achieve a plasma state with the lowest
amount of voltage required to produce a blue white type plasma. They sell
that premixed for mig welding. Pure argon for tig. You could just use one
balloon. :) If you add neon into the mix I imagine it will become a more
noticable orange red plasma with white with a bit higher voltage / current
requirements to achieve a noticable effect. I have yet  to put this info to
use. Been reading about plasma for awhile and have been practicing my
skills as a glass blower. No Kidding getting really good at the sphere its
the first most important basic shape :)
Meanwhile I slowly collect parts for very small
very low power tesla coils. grr.. black and white tv's are hard to come by
now a day.

Anyone know the specifics about calculating minimum voltage necessary
to turn a significant amount of noble gas mixture x into plasma?
If you over heat it to much you burn through the glass outer sphere when
someone contacts it. On further consideration I guess a plasma ball with an
unknow gas mixture is a raw deal.

but I appreciate the heads up on the available product.
Where are you located Dave? I am still curios to see one of those.
It looks like the center post is made of solid glass? Does it have an
electrode burried in solid glass?

On a side note if you contact cold glass with hot glass the cold glass
breaks, Thermal shock, so repair is not really an option even with glass
blowing skills. Its not impossible but probably easier to just make a new
sphere.

Contact me off list if you like
Chris