Re: Floating Scopes

Original poster: "Winston Krutsch by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <u236-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hi All (again)

	Thanks for your input.  Sorry for my sketchy information.  What I meant
was that I wanted to put the scope "in the donut hole".  The scope's
signal ground is connected directly to the case, and I believe that the
components' power ground is connected to the case too.

	I just measured both the scope, and my toroids, and found that no
matter how hard I pushed, I couldn't stuff the scope into the middle of
any of them ;-(.  This may be good, since now I'll need to make a toroid
specifically for this experiment, and can design the needed features
into it, rather than lashing together some crude thing.  I'll probably
make a "toroid" without a hole in the middle, that has a removable
chicken wire top.  That way, the whole toroid becomes a faraday cage.
Since the scope is only 8" high, 6" wide, and 14" long, I won't need a
very big topload.  Also, should the scope's case (ground) be connected
to the toroid/faraday cage when taking measurements (coil running), or
should it be isolated?  I'd think that it'd be nearly impossible to
isolate it, considering the capacitive coupling involved.

	Anyhow, thanks for your advice, past and (hopefully) future.  This is
an interesting venture, to be sure :-)).

Winston K.