Re: Safe Sparks

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <DanReind-at-aol-dot-com>

Hello all,

I was doing some digging on pubmed as part of my work, looking for some
information on radiofrequency burns.  Found an abstract for a very high
frequency burn that I thought might be off interest.

Cheers,

Dan Reinders

"Occup Med (Lond) 1999 Sep;49(7):459-61 Related Articles, Links

Radiofrequency electrocution (196 MHz).

Hocking B, Westerman R.

International Diabetes Institute, Caulfield, South Vic., Australia.
bruhoc-at-connexus-dot-net.au

Radiofrequency (RF) electrocutions are uncommon. A case of electrocution at
196 MHz is presented partly because there are no previous reports with
frequencies as high as this, and partly to assist in safety standard
setting. A 53-year-old technician received two brief exposures to both
hands of 2A current at 196 MHz. He did not experience shock or burn.
Progressively over the next days and months he developed joint pains in the
hands, wrists and elbows, altered temperature and touch sensation and
parasthesiae. Extensive investigation found no frank neurological
abnormality, but there were changes in temperature perception in the palms
and a difference in temperature between hands. His symptoms were partly
alleviated with ultra-sound therapy, phenoxybenzamine and glyceryl
trinitrate patches locally applied, but after several months he continues
to have some symptoms. The biophysics and clinical aspects are discussed.
It is postulated that there was mainly surface flow of curr!
ent and the micro-vasculature was effected. Differences to 50 Hz
electrocution are noted. Electrocution at 196 MHz, even in the absence of
burns may cause long-term morbidity to which physicians should be alerted.
Safety standards should consider protection from electrocution at these
frequencies."