Re: Rotary gap grounding

Hi Ed,

"I" think about what might happen.  Think through things like:

1.  Motor fails and puts hot AC line voltage on the motor case.

2.  Motor case is directly hit by an arc.

3.  Rotor arcs over or fails and puts primary voltage (both AC and RF) on
the motor case.

For case 1, any old AC line ground will work to fault the AC hot line to
ground.

For case 2,  We have high voltage (350kV) but low current (maybe an amp) at
say 250kHz.  If the case is floating, it "will" arc to the AC wiring.  The
wiring has pretty low impedance and even an amp at 250kHz should not do
great harm.  However, one amp at 250kHz with unlimited voltage behind it is
just not a normal AC ground wiring thing.  A nice RF ground would stop it
right there with no problem.  So a grounded case to the RF ground is called
for.

For case 3,  20kV 250kHz at like 1000 amps!!  Ok, you DON'T want that on
the AC line or the wennie AC grounding!  1000 amps with 20kV behind it IS
going to blow something up.  Now we're talking good heavy RF grounding for
the motor case.

"I" ground all the stuff near the coil to good heavy RF grounds.  I don't
have AC grounding near the coil since it is no match for a good RF
ground.  I only carry neutral and hot line voltage to the coil.  I do
ground the variac and control side equipment to the AC line ground and
often to another RF ground since it sometimes "tingles" when I touch
it.  The AC line ground has pretty high impedance to RF frequencies and is
certainly not meant to discharge a primary cap in 1uS.  But a nice heavy RF
ground can!

I also have MOVs (big ones) all over the control side AC wiring to clamp
high voltages.  They prevent any AC wiring form going to really high
voltages no mater what (even if they blow the crap out of something, they
still lock the voltages down).

So think about what could go wrong, and design for it ;-))

Cheers,

         Terry