Re: Where can I buy or find MOTS?

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi

>Thought I would try them on a new coil, thanks.
>Danny

I can only speak for the situation in rural South Australia but:

If you compare the cost of a new microwave oven with the labour charge in
even *looking* at a faulty one, let alone putting spares into it, most that
go in for service end up destined for the scrap heap.  I have an
arrangement with a local electrical service store whereby I take away all
their "beyond economic repair" ovens for them; I don't pay for the ovens,
they don't pay to have them hauled.

I have actually had several with faults no more serious than a blown fuse -
if you are competent at electrical repairs, you may even be able to make a
little extra cash to fund your coiling by fixing up the better ones and
re-selling them, *provided that local regulations allow you to do so*.

Microwave ovens [and their transformers] have the potential to be
exceedingly dangerous items (even if only dropped on feet ;-) please refer
to the excellent Sam's Repair FAQ at
http://www.repairfaq-dot-org/REPAIR/F_micfaq.html before attempting any work on
these beasts.

Also see various caveats and safety information in the list archives -
these beasties develop between 1.8-2.5kV at a whopping half amp or so;
handle with care.

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith            | Business: http://www.kbc-dot-net.au