Re: OLTC update

Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>

i agree with eddie on this. the number of turns shouldnt effect k unless you
had alot of stray inductance from the wires going to the igbts and caps, it
looks like you kept that really low the way you set it up. your primary
basically couples like a cylindrical primary.

 Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Eddie Burwell by way of Terry Fritz "
>
> Terry,
> My take on coupling is basically that it is a function of proximity. The
> turns that are close are tightly coupled, and the turns that are distant are
> weakly coupled and add leakage inductance that serves to decrease K. Taken
> to the high coupling extreme we have pulse transformers where the secondary
> is basically wrapped in a sheet of copper making one turn for the primary.
> The primary is in close proximity to all turns of the secondary and
> therefore the leakage inductance is low. I believe your triple primary is in
> close proximity to a larger than usual number of turns (for a flat spiral)
> and K is higher as a result.
>
> OLTC Maggie?
> OLTC-HEIC?
> OLTC-HEIC Maggie??
>
> Waiting on the edge of my seat for the full power test!
>
> Eddie ! Burwell
>

> At 10:18 PM 8/27/02 -0600, you wrote:
> >Original poster: "Terry Fritz"
>

> >Primary circuit loss is 2.5 mOhm which is right on target at these low
> >power levels but the coupling REALLY IS 0.25! I could never quite "see" or
> >visualize how coupling works, but I guess I did something right. The
> >primary to secondary coupling in my OLTC is enormous. I don't know if it
> >is the three parallel loops give very low primary inductance or what...
> >This 0.25 number is "with" the secondary being raised as show here (note
> >the shorter secondary now)!
> >
> >http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC08-27-04.jpg
> >
> >So for some reason, this coil has very high coupling. I don't know if this
> >is good or bad... I guess it is good since I can always reduce it and I
> >seem to be able to easily control racing arcs and primary to secondary arcs
> >at this level. So! I just need to find a sweet spot and adjust things for
> it.
> ! >
> >I see Marco has just published an article in a prestigious scientific
> >journal on this very subject :-)))) I will have to read it again and try
> >to understand it this time :o))

JImmy

Do You Yahoo!?
<http://rd.yahoo-dot-com/finance/mailsig/new/*http://finance.yahoo-dot-com>Yahoo!