RE: Problems with First Tesla Coil

Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>

Dan: Just a suggestion...
When I first setup my coil after a major rebuild, I too got "nothing" at
first power up using the variac.
Then I realized it was *way* out of tune. So I laid a three foot strip of
right angle aluminum across the toroid. sure enough, in total darkness, I
saw 3-4" streamer clusters from both ends of the strip and no where else.
I made major tuning changes and finally found the right place. Suddenly I
was up to 2 foot streamers. Later, the toroid, which was far too small, was
swapped for one much larger which resulted in even better performance. I
went from 4x16 to 6x21. Now I am about to jump to 8x24.

Check your wiring and the usual connections. Tighten all carefully. Then try
this method and note if you get any breakout at all.

The MMC seems to have the right value. With a 120bps gap you need an LTR and
for the 15/60 (mine too) .028 is about right.

But the fact that you report blowing caps means that there is something else
not right and I'd check the SRSG for openers.

And
Safety First

Ted