Re: New 4 " system: SOTA on sec winding direction

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 8/26/02 11:40:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> > Original poster: "Dave Hartwick by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ddhartwick-at-earthlink-dot-net>
> >
> > I searched the archives(!) and the consensus seems to be that winding
> > direction does not matter.
> > I wind my secondaries from left to right since this seems to naturally fit
> > my right-handed-ness.
> > I notice from multiple pix on the coiling sites that most guys wind from
> > right to left.

Hi Dave,
       You are correct. Winding direction makes no difference. There are two
possibilities that could explain your observation of right-to-left coil
winding.
1) Many coil winding machines evolved from and mimic the machine lathe, which
cuts and threads from right to left, allowing the right hand to control the
cutting tool.
2) There are certain areas of science and technology in which left-handed
people are present in numbers significantly disproportionate to the occurrence
of left-handedness in the general population.
Examples:
Before about 1930, almost a third of amateur radio operators were left-handed.
This, in spite of the fact that at that time, many school systems still
considered left-handedness a "curable defect" which appropriate punishment
could correct.
Prior to the advent of structured programming and 3-4GLs, over half of all
programmers were left-handed, while now it is about 15-20%. I suspect that a
survey of active coilers would show a similar difference above the 10-12% of
"lefties" in the total population. These may go a ways towards explaining the
large number of right-to-left coils you have observed.

Matt D.