Re: OLTC update - Coupling figured out :-)

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>

Terry (& all)-

Figure -25 appears to show the secondary voltage reaching max. at the 2nd
half-cycle and that is, indeed, extremely good.  I should think you'd be
able to see that directly on the scope by just laying your probe out as a
little antenna, as I do.

If my pet theory, as to voltage rate-of-rise vs. spark-progression time,
is true, however, that high rate may not do you much good in increasing
spark length, at just 30-odd KHz.  Getting up there in 1 cycle at 140 KHz
would be a different thing entirely.

As to why my system takes its 30 cycles to ring up--don't know yet.  My
secondary sits directly on the primary, with spacing of perhaps 1" from
the top of the primary bundle to the first secondary turn and having the
same nominal 12" diameter.  Certainly, if I could drive it with a sine
wave with all else being equal, I suppose I would.  But the MOSFETs have
to turn on hard, of course.  Also, it strikes me that the harmonic
content of my voltage square wave will not elicit a lot of primary
current because the impedance of the primary is a lot higher for those
components.  So...let it be square, as far as I can see.

And as to harmonics "fighting" each other...say what?  Does such a thing
happen??  Not per anything I learned 50 years ago...but then one forgets,
or never learned in the first place, a lot.

I'd made a rough measurement many months ago that seemed to show that I
got the best coupling to the secondary with a (larger diameter) primary
located about 6" up (on a ~36" coil).  Once I get my system up & running
again (after the current irksome task of changing out 8 MOSFET-driver
transistors for huskier ones), perhaps I'll make such a coil.

And by the way, what is the mechanism that will cause your losses to
decrease with increased input current?

Ken