OLTC update

Hi All,

As I write this the list server is still down.  Chip knows all about it, so
just a matter of time before he can "fix" it. ;-))

Tonight, I hooked up my signal generator up to my low-Z amp to power the
coil circuit for preliminary testing.  Something looked all messed up in
the line side at first, till I went back to MicroSim.  I just got all
confused about ground references and such.  No problem at all.  But it did
make may heart beat faster for awhile :-))  I quickly grew tired of the
"weenie" ten volt input voltage an got out the big variac. :-))

It took a long time to verify the connections and hook up's for a seriously
unlimited current voltage source.  Things will explode now if I screw up
:o))  But after an hour, I was sure that everything was safe and sound.  So
I cranked it on!!  After spending three weeks starring at MicroSim models
and thinking out zillions of details, I was stunned that it worked exactly
like it was supposed to!!!!  Here are the primary current and charging
current waveforms that MicroSim kept telling me I had to "make":

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC08-20-04.gif

and here is how it actually turned out:-))

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC08-20-01.gif

MicroSim predicted that the firing pulse delay would be about 115uS.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC08-20-05.gif

It was really 132uS.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC08-20-02.gif

Close enough ;-))  A trivial thing, as long as it works ;-))

This is an important test that falls under the "cheap scope tricks"
category.  I ran the thing and the scope overwrote the waveform 128 times
with full peak detection and all the fancy stuff on to detect any "glitches".

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC08-20-03.gif

The signal are rock solid and clean :-))  I really really like the timing
circuit!!!!!  Simple, cheap, and it seems to work 100%!!!  I should explain
how it works some time, but not tonight ;-))

So All is going perfectly :o))  Time to think about the secondary...  It
may incorporate a brand new tuning trick too whose time seems to have come
of age :-)))

Cheers,

	Terry