Re: OLTC Update

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Terry,

Congratulations - the system is really beginning to look good! Regarding
current monitoring - how about monitoring current through just one of
the tank capacitor leads via a smaller current transformer - should be
the same (just smaller) as the total primary current.

It'll be interesting to see how the system behaves with a secondary in
place and how much quenching flexibility you've actually got. You should
be able to quench at every other current zero crossing (limited by the
HexFRED diodes). However, this is great, since you should be able to
tweak the coupling so that there is always an even number of "half
cycles" to complete secondary ringup. This implies that you may be able
to hit "magical" coupling coefficients that are not easily achieved in
disruptive systems - 0.28 or even 0.60(!) assuming the geometries
permit.

As previously mentioned, a possible downside is that, through
transformer action, some of the secondary's energy will be extracted
during secondary ringdown, resulting in partial recharging of the tank
caps through the internal HexFRED diodes. But even this shouldn't be too
much of a problem since the tank caps will only recharge when the
induced tank EMF is greater than the voltage stored on the tank caps.
Since the induced primary voltage will be constrained by the
secondary-to-primary turns ratio (i.e., with the diode in the circuit
energy transfer is no longer resonant between secondary and primary),
the actual amount of power lost in this fashion should be comparatively
small. And, unlike a spark gap, the energy is not actually lost, but is
"recycled" back to the tank cap instead of being burned up.

Great job, Terry - dang, you're getting me excited now...!

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman