Re: Primary Resonant Frequency question . . .

Original poster: "D.C. Cox by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

Dan:

You really need to do the 20 turn "scrap wire" approach I mentioned earlier.
The most horrible thing you can do is have too little inductance in the
primary.  You usually end up with "racing sparks" as a result which could
damage your coil.

The "scrap wire" approach will keep you out of trouble.  It's very simple:
some old 12 AWG house wiring and 8 cardboard wedges with slots cut in them.
Scrape the wire bare for 1/2 in every turn and stagger the bare spots as you
move around the coil.

With NST powered coils we usually use something like 35 turns in our initial
test and usually around 20 turns with large coils.

Math is great but the potential for damage is far to great if you make an
error somewhere.

Best regards,

Dr. Resonance