Re: MOT insulation was Re: Pole Pig Construction

Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

> Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

> > 2) Is this a good idea ? I have my doubts here. The primary is not made
> > accept this stress whereas the secondary is particularly near the outer
> part
> > which must hold back 2.2kv or so.
>
> Hmm.. presumably, since it is a consumer piece of equipment, it would have
> to pass a "hi pot" test between line and case.  I don't know what voltage
> this would be (2 kV? 5kV?), but that would set some bound on the
lowvoltage
> (line) to core isolation.

the secondary has the inside of the winding connected to the core, which is
grounded. The only insulation present is to keep the secondary wire from
getting cut up on the core itself. The only floating (with respect to the
core) is the primary and possible filament winding. You can probably measure
leakage from primary to the core, but not from the secondary to the core as
they are connected.

When you cut that wire going to the core/ground and connect it to the output
of another MOT, you now have voltage across the trasnformer where when
designed, there was close to zero volts.

KEN