Re: MOT V stress was Re: pole pig

Original poster: "Wells Campbell by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <wellscampbell-at-onebox-dot-com>

Hi. Ted wrote:

---- "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
> Original poster: "tesla by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <tesla-at-paradise-dot-net.nz>
>
> Hi
> Wells
> I believe you are correct but I would comment.
>
> The very outside of the secondary does come back close to the EI core.
> Having said that I select my MOTs for the maximum clearance in this
> area.
> I am guessing that as the very inner part of the MOT does not require
> much
> insulation as it is normally near Gnd potential the insulation near
> the
> inner is not as good as the installed insulation at the outer which
> is
> required to hold off 2kv for long periods. Pushing this a little to
> 6kv does
> not pose problems either in air or oil....

I gotcha. I only have a few, but they all seem to have the same insulation
wrapped around the windings, and the windings tight to the outer E. I
usually go for the ones with the most paper or mica insulation.

> I've not used a MOT as a charging reactor and I would imagine this
> is
> extremely stressful on the insulation...

yep. I'm going to try and wind my own, with 15-20 kv worth of insulation.
see related post, "homebrew chng. reactor?"

> Best
> Ted L in NZ--

Same,

Wells Campbell