OLTC - Split core inductors

Hi All,

I wrapped more turns around my old variac core that I slit with a cobalt
hacksaw.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC08-16-08.jpg

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC8150009.jpg

It's impedance should be:

Rl = 2 x pi x 60 x L = 56.6 ohms

So with 90 volts input, I should get 1.59 amps:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC08-16-09.gif

Pretty close ;-))

It goes into saturation at about 2 amps still:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC08-16-10.gif

At 120 Hz,instead of 60, that should double to about 4 amps.  I need 5 amps:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC08-16-07.gif

Interesting to note that if one were to bias the core with -2.5 amps DC,
you could probably cut the amount of iron in the core by 1/2!  But the
extra iron is probably simpler...

So it is just barely there, good enough for now ;-))

Richard wrote:

"Replace them with much smaller LC tank circuits tuned to the frequency you
wish to pass.  Tank R can be held really low and at resonance Z can be made
zero.  If you play a little with Fo you can get some really interesting
band pass filters.  You can make these little LC filters tunable and put in
as much tank Z as you desire.  Disassemble a flyback core and wind your
much smaller inductor.  Don't forget to put the shims back in."

A wild idea I need to look into :-)))

Cheers,

	Terry

Cheers,