Problem with Synchronous Motor and Timing Light

Original poster: "Daniel McCauley by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

Okay, so I picked up a strobe light from Radio Shack this evening and with
Terry's modifications, made me a 60Hz timing light.

I got my SRSG and the timing light, turned the lights off, and tested away.

However, I do not know too much about how synch motors really work, but here
were my results:

1.  The timing light worked great.  Basically froze the rotor to free time
so you could see the position of the rotor in respect to the 60Hz input
power.  However, the problem is that if I briefly touched the side of the
rotor to slow it down just for an instant (yes, it does burn my finger), the
rotor locks in speed again, but in a slightly rotated position and will
continue to move about everytime i slow it down for an instant.  Is this
normal for a synchronous motor???  I was under the impression that once
attached securely to the shaft that it would maintain its relative position
forever unless you rotated the rotor about the motor axel.  What are your
thoughts??

Thanks

Dan