Re: Use MMC's, not build your own. . .

Original poster: "cd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <vbprg1-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Ok can I ask you to clarify your construction method....
I assume this is like the party cup capacitor i found one day...

What size buckets are you useing for the layers?
I assume they stack nicely?
also
when you use mineral oil in a setup like this
do you immerse the entire stack in a single larger bucket?
do your saturate each layer during construction to avoid bubbles between
layers?
Im assuming you use the tape to secure the foil and as tabs?
are you wraping aluminum on the inside of the buckets or the outside?

This does seem like a decent idea for a capacitor.. kind of based on the
caps used for a mmc just one big PP and foil cap.....
except
the geek caps are only rated for 2000v
and they are made of really pure low imperfection PP - (so ive been told)
considering
the layers in the buckets may be significantly thicker...but less pure and
with plenty of imperfections in the surface(Im guessing cheap buckets cant
be that nice...)

How do you get your 30kvdc voltage rating?

Anyway Just looking to learn
Chris Dowdy

> In cost the bucket capacitor is way better all around. There is NO need
for
> salt water! Just use Aluminum foil and mineral oil and you are set. a
(110")
> bucket + insert gives 7.4 nF and is VERY light weight. 8 buckets with
> inserts gives a 180.56 nF -at- 30 kVDC capacitor (thats 16 buckets total)!!
The