Capacitive transformer Tesla coil

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Hi:

I have set up a page describing the capacitive transformer Tesla
coil, at:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/mres4ct.html
Not much material is there yet. Just the pictures that I already
put in previous posts and a few more. No theory yet. I will add
more after I complete a more powerful version.

Looking at that device I wonder if a significant part of the
energy transfer in conventional transformer Tesla coils is not
due to the same effect, specially in those coils with large
conical primaries.

I made some experiments with it:
Different spark gaps: A Jacob's ladder results in the system
working only when the arc is at the end of its path, about to
be interrupted. A single gap between points results in practically
no output.
Heat from the arcs: They burn wood, and cut through styrofoam
as it were not there. A block of this material placed over the
tip of the antenna first glows, then corona emerges from it,
then it melts and catches fire.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz