Re: OLTC Multi Primary

Hi Winston,

On 14 Aug 2002, at 6:23, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Marry Krutsch by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <u236-at-earthlink-dot-net>

> Hi All,
>
> 	I don't know whether or not the drawing/idea was mis-understood or not,
> but I'll explain the idea again.  I discussed this with Terry a few
> weeks ago, and he thought that it was too complicated.  I still don't
> think so, but then again, I'm not the one trying to build it and get it
> to work without smoke entering the picture ;-)).  I also don't have the
> fancy computer modeling stuff that Terry has (I can't even imagine how
> much that aids in designing circuits).
>
> 	Anyway, the idea was not only for each transistor to have its own
> capacitor, but for each one to have its own complete tank circuit,
> identical to the others.  The main point to this was keeping the
> resonant frequency in the "normal" TC range by keeping the Fres of each
> tank high, while keeping the total energy in all of the caps (tanks)
> high enough to do some good at low (120 BPS) break rates.  That way, the
> secondary coil wouldn't need to have 0.5 Henries of inductance =:-0, and
> would therefor be less of a pain to build.

If the primaries are bundled, the coupling between each would be
close to 1. It might as well be a single conductor. The total
inductance of the bundle would still be that of a single conductor.
In effect, it reduces to Terry's multiple capacitor/switch
arrangement.

> 	Also, using this method, power-per-break can be increased without
> further lowering the operating frequency, if the coil is running
> directly from the line and not DC.  The current consensus (I think) is
> that the prototype OLTC will run on DC.
>
> 	The idea was to wind all the "separate" primary coils into a bundle,
> like Litz wire, so that no one tank would see too much more kickback
> than the others, and so the secondary coil would "see" only one
> primary.  Running at such a low frequency means that, using a
> "conventional" TC tank setup, you must lose either primary inductance,
> or capacitance.  Each one has its inherant problems.  The multiple tank
> circuit method allows you to in effect, lose neither one.  I know that
> an IGBT is a little different from a sparkgap ;-)), but their function
> in the circuit is the same.
>
> 	Current sharing is less of a problem, since there are no transistors in
> parallel.  The firing timing issue is the same as with the current
> setup.  And, a problem with one circuit should not affect the others, so
> a catastophic "dominoe effect" failure would be less likely.  The wire
> used in each tank would be much smaller than that used in a single
> larger one, so making and manipulating the setup would be easier.  There
> were some other perks to this (I think), but I've forgotten them.

But the coupling constant between the bundled conductors *is* almost
1. The separate primary circuits will not be separate at all and each
will see the effects generated by its mates.

Regards,
Malcolm