Neighbors and noise

Original poster: "Chris Roberts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi everybody,

           I'm building a single static sucker gap as seen at
<http://madlabs.info/index.php?x=spark_gaps.jsp>http://madlabs.info/index.p
hp?x=spark_gaps.jsp. However I have a bit of a problem. I have a couple of
neighbors that are very problematic as far as the noise is concerned. They've
been known to call the police on things as small as fireworks and have already
become agitated about me about running this thing late at night. I have a
feeling that this gap isn't going to help. I was wondering if there is anything
I can do to muffle the noise of this thing. Has anyone done anything like this?
Ive considered putting a pipe over the actual gap, putting the thing inside a
styrofoam box with holes punched in it to let air flow through, etc. If you
have any ideas let me know.

-Chris

 Jonathan Peakall wrote:

> Chris,
>
> I used brass bushings before I got the tungsten electrodes. The page details
> it, they worked fine, maybe even better than the tungsten (again see the page
> for details). I assume you mean for the electrodes, not the entire thing.
> Brass fitting for the whole thing would expensive.
>
> I soldered a brass nut onto the pipe and used a brass bolt to attach the tank
> wire to it. You can put the wires anywhere. I don't think you need to use as
> much copper pipe as I did, it doesn't need it for a heat sink. One thing to
> note is that max vac from whatever you are using may not give you max spark
> length. I use a variac on the vac source. If you don't have a variac to spare
> for that, you can make an adjustable "leak" somewhere in the system instead.
>
> LOUD LOUD LOUD!!! That's how loud it is. I wear ear protection anyway and
> (here is Grandma talking) you should too.
>
> Hope this helps, feel free to write anytime,
> \
> Jonathan Peakall

Do You Yahoo!?
<http://rd.yahoo-dot-com/careers/mailsig/new/*http://www.hotjobs-dot-com>HotJobs, a
Yahoo! service - Search Thousands of New Jobs