Re: Gap Power Levels

Hi David, Mark,

Tesla list wrote:

> Mark wrote:
>  For 8-10kVA is it possible to still use a static gap, or has that crossed
>  into the RSG zone?
>
> David wrote:
>
> From my experience, the RSG is virtually essential for high powered
> coiling. I'm sure that you could go to extravegant lengths to cool and
> quench stationary SG electrodes at 10 kVA, but it would likely be
> more problematic than the RSG itself. I'm still waiting to hear of some-
> one who has been able to successfully use the triggered SG in high
> powered applications.

I tried a triggered air-cooled RQ gap up to 4kVA and although it worked
fine, it
just didn't perform as well as my RSG. I also ran the same gap without the
trigger
and it didn't change much. For 10kVA, I'd definately suggest going the
route of an
RSG. I have since built up another air-cooled RQ gap using 1.25" copper
piping for
some efficiency tests that I'm doing. Once complete with that, I'll
probably see if
that performs better at high powers in both a trigger and non-trigger
setup. The
previous RQ gap actually used 0.375" tungsten rod wedged in 1/2" copper
piping (in
hind-site, it wasn't the best setup to use).

Take care,
Bart