Re: Streamer loading effect

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> >  This 6 foot figure that the calculator gave me is
> > somewhat puzzling.  If John F. can get 42" (or 44" now) from a 12/30,
>why on
> > earth would a figure for 6 feet on a 1800w coil make sense for high
> > efficiency?  I know larger coils loose efficiency per power.  Oh well, i
> > should just be happy with what i have, and what i have is good enough
>for me
> > :)
>
>The last report I saw from John was a comparison of different NST's. There,
>John's TT-42 coil
>acheived 38" using a Jefferson 12/30 NST running 140V input (uses variac to
>step up input voltage).
>On his website, John mentions 42" using a "rubust" NST. The term "robust"
>indicates the NST is
>pulling more than it's rated VA rating. For 42", he was probably delivering
>620W or so to the coil.
>
>If you do a search in the List Archives, search for "TT-32 TC results and
>specs". This was a post
>from John and may help. It includes the TT-42 coil as well.
>
>If we were to model the 38" case in JavaTC, we would enter 140 in the
>"Applied Vin" input box. This
>changes the output watts to the coil to 490W and is identified as effective
>output power. The spark
>length then shows 37.6" and very close to 38". It may be helpful to measure
>input volts and amps to
>verify your actual watts if you haven't done this already.

>Take care,
>Bart

Hi Bart,

I like you TC calculator very much.  Thanks for clearing all this efficiency
stuff up for me.  I probably have not seen Johns coil when he had the 38"
sparks, and i had a feeling that "robust" had something to do with that.
And i didnt know about the variac for a 140v setting.  I can not verify what
my coil is eating, besides that its more than 15A.  It throws my 15A breaker
box often, but not my 25A fuse in the house.  My ammeter sucks so i dont
trust it for more than a rough estimate.  I also need to power factor since
im dimming the lights in parts of the house that are on my circuit.

Steve Ward.