Re: Electrical Oscillators in Space

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi Malcolm, Dwight, and all,

Interesting speculations! I vaguely remember a paper on this topic from
the Corums as well, but I can't seem to locate it. It may have been an
extension of Tesla's proposed particle beam projector from the 1930's
and early 40's, in which Tesla proposed using very small metallic
particles that were to be electrostatically accelerated out of a charged
vacuum tube. For what it's worth, a rather non-scientific description
and discussion of this weapon can be found on Marc Seifer's web site:
http://www-dot-netsense-dot-net/tesla/questions.html#index

If I recall correctly, the Corums also had discussed using a large Tesla
Coil combined with a blast of small conductive particles (soot, powdered
metal?) to help direct a HV discharge a much further distance into the
air. I don't remember much more about the approach, however.  :^(

Some coilers have demonstrated much longer streamers by directing a jet
of inert gas from the top of a Coil (inert gases tend to much easier to
ionize than air). Argon or helium are relatively inexpensive gases that
can cause considerably longer streamers that those in air. Even less
dense air such as the flame and hot air from a blowtorch will work.
Summarizing some ways to "direct" and increase streamer length:

1. Reduce the intensity of the E-field required to ionize the gas at
streamer tips by using gases with lower ionization energies, lower gas
pressures/elevating gas temperatures to permit longer mean free path of
free electrons.

2. Increase the conductivity and persistence of the channel once formed
by applying external heat, using a gas mixture having lower ionization
energy, or perhaps by adding conductive/incandescent particles into the
gas stream.

3. Increase the average lifetime of newly formed electrons by removing
"electron stealing" electronegative gases such as oxygen or water vapor
from the gas mixture

4. Use a source of external ionizing radiation such as particle beams or
powerful UV light to create a large population of electrons along the
path. As previously mentioned, a pulsed laser can be used to create a
thin line of weakened dielectric strength in the air that can then
become the preferred path for a HV electrical discharge.

Although by using these techniques individual streamers and leaders may
not "propagate" any faster during each "jump", they may jump a longer
distance each time as they propagate.

BTW, I suspect the cheapest way (at least for short distances) is simply
to use a jet of argon off the top of the coil. As Boris indicates, you
need to have ionized particles and electron for conduction through a
gap... a vacuum alone won't work.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>