Re: tesla coil is an air core. why?

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jake Draper by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<cybermecium-at-cox-dot-net>

> Wouldn't the coil former (pvc) serve as a diamagnetic core even though its
> hollow. I mean the wire is still wrapped around something, so technically it
> is a core. It would only be truly air-cored if it was a free standing coil
> of wire wrapped around, literally, air. Just my $.02
> -Jake D.
> G-2 #1192
> cybermecium-at-cox-dot-net

	The most important reason I can think of is voltage breakdown, at least
for TC's of the form which are usually built.  Any magnetic steel is a
conductor, so putting it in the coil would just add a conduction path.
Ferrites are not conductors [their advantage in magnetic circuits is
their high resistivity and hence low eddy current losses], but they have
a high enough dielectric constant that they would probably cause
breakdown.  An additional factor for either material is core saturation
which must be calculated any time you use a magnetic material in a
transformer.

Ed