Re: 1st Tesla Coil

Original poster: "Laurence Davis by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <meknar-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Chris,
  try a smaller toroid or sphere.  adjust your tuning on the primary;
most people have an alligator clip for the outer turns.

you might want to buy a large globe lightbulb and socket for it (like the
kind that mount on the ceiling).  the globe bulb is really sensitive
to the amount of voltage at the top. (use it as a top load).  when your
tuning gets better, the sparks on the inside of the globe get stronger and
brighter.  use a small wire from the lightbulb socket to the toroid.

do a search for "java tesla calculator" on google or lycos.
they have calculators at classictesla-dot-com that will help you find
an approximate tuning for you coil. but experimentation will give you the
best output results.

play with tuning. use a smaller top load first. try a clear light bulb to
assist in tuning.

larry.