Re: A prospective MOSFET driver

Hi Dave,

On 6 Aug 2002, at 22:04, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

> Ken
> I see what you're trying to accomplish.  My only comment is
> when you are biasing Q2 on via the pulse transformer via D1
> with a positive polarity (and of course biasing Q1 off at the
> same time).
>
> I've always been told to NEVER forward bias a zener diode,
> you will hose its knee characteristics.  Comments from the
> list???

Interesting. I haven't heard that before (gulp!). I haven't seen
degradation in zeners I've forward biased but the current was pretty
modest and zeners are not noted for their current handling
capability. In fact, I think you've hit on a severe drawback to the
circuit right there! I never thought about it. The peak gate current
could be in the Amps range.

Regards,
malcolm