Re: Proposed capacitive transformer TC?

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

> Antonio,
> has the following topology ever been tried:

(Please use a font with constant width when making ascii drawings)

>                                   (=+=)
>                                     L2
>                                     L2
> -------L1-+-------+-------------)   L2   (  EIP1
>           I       I                 L2
>  PSU      C1     SG1                L2
>           I       I                 I
> ----------+-------+-----------------+-------------GND

> The electric induction plane EIP1 is a metal plate with hole in the middle
> wide
> enough for L2 to stand within the enclosed space without touching; it is
> connected to L1, C1 and SG1 the spark gap, it  not connected to L2 the
> secondary coil other than by capacitive coupling.
> L2 is grounded at one end and connected to a toroid at the other.
>
> Would  it work?

L1 can't be in series with the power supply. The high impedance of a
NST would cancel its effect. The plane also can't be in this position,
grounded by the gap. With this connection, once the gap fires the
potential of the plane would suddenly go to zero, and the gap breakdown
voltage (or a bit less), inverted, would appear at the terminal and
start an oscillation. But this oscillation would be at low voltage,
without any further energy transfer from the primary. A better
circuit would be:

                       (=====) Terminal

                          L2

   o------+--L1--+----(=) | (=)
          o      |        |
  PSU    gap     C1       |
          o      |        |
   o------+------+--------+-o Ground

When the gap fires, the plane voltage will follow the oscillating
voltage on C1, transferring energy to the secondary system.
I tried something like this, placing a pizza pan below L2 as
induction plate (without a hole. I placed the entire L2 above the
plane, routing the grounding connection around the plane). There
is some energy transfer and voltage amplification. A plane with a
hole would work better, since the most effective place to excite
electrically is the terminal of L2. If the plane manages to "capture"
a good fraction of the capacitance from the terminal to the ground,
a quite efficient system can result. There are three capacitances
involved, however (C1+plane-ground, plane-terminal, terminal-ground),
and tuning may be tricky, but is possible.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz