Re: inductance and output power ?

Original poster: "Chris Swinson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <exxos-at-cps-games.co.uk>

Hi Malcolm,

> > I plotted some coils I wound into excel just to see what all the coil
specs
> > came out like. I noticed that the lower inductance coils always seen to
give
> > better output than higher inductance coils.  Does this sounds right ?
>
> Is that in theory, or in practice? Were the primary energies the
> same, or different? Breakrates? What had the lower inductance,
> primary, secondary, both? I won't ask for more details at the moment.
> As you can see, there is more to it than simply comparing two
> inductances.

In practice. Everything was the same appart from the inductance. I was
actually meaning 2 coils of the same length of wire but different dia's.
I've actually tried 0.2mm, 0.4mm, 0.8mm.  0.2 did next to nothhing, possibly
to high resistance of the wire which was about 2KR.  0.4 did a lot better.
0.8 was the best.  When I plot some results off inductance and capacitance
etc ( I was only refering to inductance but there are probable others as
Cself etc ) its the lower inductance which always works better. Might just
be for my setup but thats how it works out in practice.

> > would have thought higher inductance would give more of a kick than
lower
> > inductance coils. The frequency could well be a little higher with lower
> > inductance coils which could be why but it still seems very odd that
lower
> > inductance looks better....
>
> Inductance alone does not determine the coil's resonant frequency.
> Capacitance is the missing part of the considerations here. Physical
> coil size matters as does topload. So too does........

True, but For these tests I didn't actually use a toroid, some tests I did
but to keep things as close as possible I didn't use one.  I may have to
jump a turn to keep each coil in tune, but appart from that its just a
matter of swapping secondary coils with different wire dia's to see what
happens.  I am just trying now to work out why 0.8mm works best so far.
Looking at the coils plotted in wintesla higher Cself and lower inductance
coils work better....

Cheers,
Chris