Re: flat coil ?

Original poster: "Chris Swinson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <exxos-at-cps-games.co.uk>

Hi Bart,

> Congrats on getting the coil wound! If you get the chance, it would be
good
> for us to know the bare
> wire diameter. You mentioned 1.6mm (is that the bare wire diameter?).
Also,

Thats a good question! It just says 1.6mm on the reel.  I tried to mesure
with a ruler and it looks more like 1.8 though you can't trust that. AFAIK
its 1.6mm dia.

> when you started winding
> from center, what did you wind around (a screw or something). It would be
> good to know the inside
> diameter as well.

Yeah , I forgot to mention that. I used a solder reel which measures 2" in
dia.

> Becare full with coating. Varnishes seep below the winding and tape and
can
> destroy a lot of work. This
> occurred on my first flat coil. I used superglue on the second one to keep
> the windings down before
> coating which worked fine.

Thats a good point. I did think of this yesterday.  I have 2 lengths of wood
waited with 4 transformers. I just spaced them out about 3" or so and
varnished between. Tomorrow I will do another 3"....etc... It will take a
long time but at least it will be as flat as possible while the varnish
sets.  Its not too bad since I have to wind a new primary yet anyway.

Cheers,
Chris