Re: Dielectrics

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/27/02 4:53:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> > Hi All.
> >
> >    What is the breakdown voltage of kerosene and motor oil?  I want to try
> > to make a cap that uses only motor oil or kerosene as the dielectric.  I
> > know I want additive free oil, but will I need to dry it before use?
> > Can someone who's done this give me some pointers?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Winston

Hi Winston,
         I would definitely recommend against using kerosene as a dielectric.
An accidental arc-over in the fluid is not too much of a problem, but an
arc-over at or just above the surface could ruin your whole day/
complexion/etc.
Matt D.
G5-#12
an early pioneer in "Molotov capacitors".
<http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org>http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org