Re: Dielectrics

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Goinbonkers-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi All.

   What is the breakdown voltage of kerosene and motor oil?  I want to try
to make a cap that uses only motor oil or kerosene as the dielectric.  I
know I want additive free oil, but will I need to dry it before use?
Can someone who's done this give me some pointers?

Thanks,
Winston

Hi All,
   A thought just occurred to me related to this.   Has anyone considered using
diesel as a dielectric?   It is about the equivalent of 10W motor oil and would
not have the detergents.
Mike