Re: series MOTS, pole pigs, etc

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

>Hello all,
>
>Correct me if I'm wrong but (thinking out loud):
>
>If you series TWO "conventional", non centre or end-tapped, two bushing
>transformers, you are overstressing the insulation by two times, right?
>
>But, when seriesing TWO "end-tapped" 2400v MOTs (like the tame MOT
>setup), you can create a centre tapped 4800v transformer. Because they
>are phased correctly and the winding is centre tapped, they develop a
>total potential of 4800v across the HV output with no additional
>insulation stress, right?
>
>I'm wondering if I could do this with two 11kV pole pigs? I was thinking
>I could ground one of the HV bushings on each pig, and place the
>primaries in parallel. This would essentially provide a 22kV centre
>tapped transformer with no extra stress on the insulation, right?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Greg Peters
>Department of Earth Sciences,
>University of Queensland, Australia
>Phone: 0402 841 677
>http://www.geocities-dot-com/gregjpeters

Hi Greg...

I  did the paralell/series setup on 2   14.4kv piggies ( and when pushed
by the variacs to 280V input) I get nearly 30+KV out of the pig
system...  been running this setup for over 2 years now and havent had
any problems as of yet.  The only thing that concerns me is the louder
than before humming from the piggie. ( did current checks and everything
is ok ... just a bit louder due to the increased power) .

Make absolutely sure of the phasing when hooking up the system....

Scot D