Protection Circuit

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dlynch-at-reyercorp-dot-com>

Hello,

I am studying various circuits from several people and it seems the
protection circuit is
a low pas filter, like Terry's small coil specs, where he uses 360pF and 5K
resistor
which gives a 3dB point of 88.4kHz. Is it that straight forward or do you
really need to
factor in the secondary inductance of the NST?

My daughter is doing a High School project and I am trying to explain each
section of
the circuit based on what I use to know and have long since forgotten.

I have also seen RF chokes used in the protection circuit. Is it really
necessary?

I have a OBT 10Kv 23mA and so we are on the low end of the power spectrum.
I've
ordered some 400pf 30KV doorknobs and so I guess a 5K resistor seems just fine.

The more we include, the more has to be explained and I want to keep it as
simple as
possible so it doesn't tax my brain too much.

Thanks.

Don