Re: The effects of high voltage on the body..

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "torlin by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<torlin-at-ghostmail-dot-net>

>Actually, Ben, you have that backwards.  DC current, being
>Direct, will actually kick you away, hence the reason it
>is used in fences.  AC, Being alternating, is what causes
>your muscles to "lock".  Actually, they are tensing and
>releasing alternately (bicept tenses, while tricept
>relaxes) and switching back and forth, 60 times per
>second, as the current flows into, and out of your body.
> This comes from personal experience, when I was younger
>and less attentive.  :)  I walked into a horse fence once,
>and was knocked on my a**, and once got too close to the
>business end of a florescent light in a cooler when I
>worked the supermarket biz.

SNIPPERZZ>>>>

this may be getting off topic but since it deals with electricity and
such maybe it will slide thru..

so far I've seen a couple of conflicting ideas about DC/AC "grab power",
and I started thinking ....( uhoh )
with AC we have a "positive" current wave that will contract muscles,
then the wave goes negative. Without the current present ( say at 0
crossover) the muscles will relax ( but is the time long enuf for the
muscle to relax?? ) before the negative current wave hits the muscles? I
can see how AC will cause one to lock onto a current/voltage supply in
this case.  With DC, ( constant ) it seems that contact will cause a
simular situation. Then there is pulsed DC ....  ( from experience) this
"feels" just like AC and definately has the capacity to grab.

an interesting thought..  all of those "Toning" devices for tighting up
those flabby abs use pulsed DC of varing pulse rates....  so in effect,
if you could over ride the current and pulse settings on one of those
machines you could keep the muscles continually tight...

just a thought ...

Scot D