RE: Jacketed Coil

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Bert,

Thanks for the advice on the toroid and the explanation of the larger
effective diameter.

While running the coil today I noticed a much stronger electrostatic charge
than in previous coils I have operated.  I wish I had a way to measure it.
It charged all the metal surfaces in the room such that after the coil was
turned off and I moved a fluorescent tube near metal surfaces in the room,
they would cause the tube to flicker with light.  With the coil off, the
hair on my arms stood up straight within 12" of the PVC coil form.

Also, the ozone was incredibly thick on all runs.  I actually had breathing
problems it was so dense.  I've never generated this much ozone with a coil
before.

I discovered a neat demonstration trick today.  It's probably been done
before, but I put an inverted Erlenmeyer flask over the terminal bolt.  The
glass flask trapped lots of electricity, but streamers also issued forth
from the glass into the room.  The glass near the terminal post gets quite
warm while the glass furthest away stays cool, even though the streamers are
all throughout the flask.

I've got to set this coil up outside sometime.  A bifilar wound solenoid
coil was placed on top of the 48" solenoid and bright streamers shot one
foot straight up into the ceiling.  It would be nice to know if this was a
grounding effect to the ceiling or whether it was a voltage emission effect
from the coil.

Unlike other configurations I have set up, this configuration causes half of
the transformer to get warm while the other half remains cold.  The half
nearer the ground connection remains cold.  Terry, do you know why this is?

Something else, I tried to measure the inductance across the flat spiral
part of the secondary on through the top of the solenoid secondary and the
inductance was all over the place.  I got readings from 30mH down to 2mH
with most of the readings between 7mH and 18mH.  This coil is exceptionally
sensitive to objects nearby.  My body moving from 5 feet to 3 feet from the
coil caused a difference of 5mH of inductance in the LCR meter reading.

Dave