Re: Large Van De Graaf Sphere

Original poster: "Finn Hammer by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <f-h-at-c.dk>

All

I discussed this subject with my metal spinner, last time I saw him, to
pick up the shells for the _copper_ toroid that is going to grace the
final version of the Museum Coil.

The idea was to use a half toroid as the bottom part, and a slightly
squashed halfsphere as the top part. I`m not shure it would be optimal,
but my theory is, that the toroid bottom would give very low leakage
corona, as compared to a spherical shell with unshielded cutouts for the
belt.
In this case the belt could enter the inside of the topload trough the
flat plate that constitutes the center disk of the toroid.

I thought it might be an idea to fabricate a small batch to tesla coil
builders who got slightly bored with having relatively low voltages to
play with, and wanted to upgrade their experience with a kick a** Van
der Graaf MV+ generator.

I`m not disrespecting the tesla coil here, just pointing out that the
idea of having a slumbering MV+ at your disposal, right off a top
terminal, for attraction or repulsion, or plain one shot fun, might
appeal to some select few..... :o)

Since I have rediscovered that copper is so much easier to join and
finish, as compared to alluminium, this metal would be the choise, and a
price of around 600 USD would have to change hands to get it.

Diametre would be 600 mm or ~24"

Cheers, Finn Hammer

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "rheidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>