Re: Better Spark Gaps

Original poster: "boris petkovic by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Dear John,

> That is interesting, I didn't know that a series
> static
> gap could give better single power transfer than a
> single spark gap at high powers.  Are you saying
> that things work one way at low powers, and the
> opposite way at high powers?  IOW, a series static
> gap is worse than a single gap at low powers, but
> better at higher powers?  What causes this change
> in efficiency from low to high powers?
---
In higher powered systems (let say 10kw+),and Vp
considerable firing voltage systems,multiple gap can
withstand higher voltages and give lower total
dissipative impedances.
Naturally,if one exaggerate in their number,gets an
oposite effect.
But my point was on quenching time more than transffer
efficiency.
---

>     Massive and high quality material
>

> > electrodes + number of gaps optimized+ combination
> of
> > air presure flows etc.,can offer on some  systems
> > better efficiency than traditional rotary gap
> > employment employed instead.
> > The best would be ,of course, combination of air
> flow
> > blast series static gap and sync. rotary gap.
>

> It may be of great benefit to use a different
> quenching
> gas such as hydrogen, which offers fast
> deionization,
> and may help to achieve the elusive 1st transfer
> quench
> at tighter couplings.
---
It may.But I didn't go that far to say it was a must
to achieve 1st notch quench.
It must be achievable by more direct means in normal
atmospheric surroundings.
----

> > Here we come to the system construction
> issues:overall
> > power used,coupling pri-sec,and what is also
> > important:resonant frequency of TC.
> > Why TC resonant freq?This is a parametar which
> decides
> > togather with coupling factor, time of first
> notch.
>

> I haven't seen any benefit from using lower resonant
> frequencies in my simple tests, but I agree that it
> should
> give a benefit.  This, along with a hydrogen quench
> atmosphere,
> or perhaps some other gas, may be very beneficial.
> An
> enclosure for the gas, along with some sort of
> forced air or water
> radiator cooling system would probably be needed, to
> extract
> the heat, especially at high powers.
>

> > Geometry of static spark gap ventileted with
> powerful
> > air flow (approaching 330 m/s) may offer quenching
> > after first transfer of energy to secondary,which
> is
> > nearly impossible to accomplish by best rotary
> alone
> > if high coupling (~0.2) set.
> > Progress here is still possible but ,as always,on
> > burden of coilers' expense.
>

> If 1st transfer quenching can be achieved without
> a special gas, but simply with a powerful air blast,
> that would be excellent, since simplicity is
> desireable.
> Powerful air blasts may disrupt the firing, or cause
> looping arcs in some cases maybe.
---
Size of electrode area arc may develop over,resonant
frequency and coupling decide at what surface velocity
stream of air should move.
If equations can be written for airplane wing ,there
must be possibility for progress as concerns system
arc-electrodes too.

regards,
Boris