Re: Changing Cycles 'till it Hertz

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/14/02 1:48:48 PM Central Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:
>   Not a coincidence, just a bad joke someone thought up after Hertz came
>  into use in this country!  Sorry for the confusion.

Got any bridges for sale?

>   Quite true. Came into use because of the convenience of the
>  abbreviation (now days it might be called an acronym, of which there are
>  far too many in this world of alphabet soup).  I can't find any
>  usage of Hertz in pre-WW2 literature, but the selection here is limited
>  to publications in the U.S. and England.

There is no prewar usage  of Hertz because the unit is the regurgitant of the
1960 SI conference, as I wrote in my previous post. Ooh: cps is an
abbreviation.
It is not an acronym. Very few abbreviations ever rise to the status of a
true
acronym. MOSFET and MODEM are acronyms in our technical lexicon. There
aren't many.

That last may be the merciful end to this entire thread.  :-))

 Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman