Re: SNAFU(s)

In a message dated 4/13/02 7:14:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> I have two major questions at this point.
> 1 Why would my two NST's not play together? They both are both matching
> 9KV/30ma . I had the cases both grounded(and tried with one not
> grounded) and every conceivable wiring situation. What am I not seeing
> here?

Jim,
the only thing i can think of is that your cap value was resonant
with one NST, so when you used two NST's, the value is no
longer resonant, so you're actually getting a lower voltage with
two NST's than with one.  This would occur if your cap value is
about 0.0188uF or so.  This would also assume that your gap
spacing was rather wide, so that only a resonant system
gives enough voltage to fire the gap.  You can try simply
narrowing the gap with the two NST's and all should be fine.
You should get longer sparks despite the narrower gap,
because the breakrate should automatically increase due
to the increased input power.

Cheers,
John