Re: Changing Cycles 'till it Hertz

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

>         Seems to me that Antionio and I have exchanged notes on this subject
> before, but not sure.  He will probably have a different point of view
> which I hope he'll express from his viewpoint in another country and
> another hemisphere.

Your point of view makes all sense for me. I really wonder from where
come the weird idea of naming what is just a count as "Hertz", while
something more useful as "radians per second" has no special name.
The name is nice, however, and shorter than "cycles per second" ;-)

About metric x imperial units, here we don't care much about the
existence of the two systems, but most common units are metrical.
Some time ago some regulating agency tried to force the use of metric
units everywhere, resulting in those ridiculous conversions that you
mention. Doesn't work. I frequently buy metal rods and ball bearings
at two stores, one in front of the other. The rods are all imperial,
and the bearings all metrical... For precise work, I collect metal rods
from discarded printers, that seem to be all metrical, or order
"imported" imperial bearings...

To add something that can be more useful for members interested in
history. Take a look at this site: http://gallica.bnf.fr
There is a large collection of old books and periodicals available
for download there, including some interesting classic texts on
electricity, most in French, but some in English and German too.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz