Re: Changing Cycles 'till it Hertz

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/13/02 12:26:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> distinction between sinusoidal frequency and other cyclic waveforms. They
> wanted
> two new units. And the Germans wanted to honor one of their own. The Great
> Compromise :-)) was to be the new unit of the Hertz which they defined as
> equal
> to one cycle per second. No reference is made to the type of wave form, the
> Germans got their representation, and we narrowly missed having to learn
> another
> new unit.

Since all periodic waveforms can be represented by some series of sinusoids,
the bottom line (sum) is Hertz. ;-)
Matt D.