RE: Piezo HV Power Supply

Original poster: "Pete Komen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pkomen-at-zianet-dot-com>

Hello Dave,

It is out of the book "Practical Electronics for Inventors" by Paul Scherz.
I also found the formula used on other web sites.  I don't really care to
argue.  I may look at your formulas later when I am not so tired.  I think
it was Ed who confirmed my formula.  This is also getting off topic for this
list.  If I reply again, I'll do it off list.

Regards,

Pete Komen
Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Pete,

Dave T.
>>Your formula for energy is wrong in that it should be:
>>joule = farad * volt^2

Pete K.
>Your formula for energy is incorrect.  The energy in a cap is:
>Joules = farads times volts squared divided by two.

Well, let's take a look at this.

>From NIST http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/units.html

Farad = m-2*kg-1*s4*A2
Volt = m2*kg*s-3*A-1

Farad * Volt^2 = m-2*kg-1*s4*A2*m2*kg*s-3*A-1*m2*kg*s-3*A-1
Farad * Volt^2 = s-2*m2*kg
Farad * Volt^2 = joule

Where does the "1/2" come in?

Can you direct me to the source that you referenced?  Perhaps your source is
wrong?

Dave