Series vs. Parallel resistance

Original poster: "Jim Bultman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <megajoule-at-comcast-dot-net>

Hi everyone,

I'm starting work on a 20kva control cabinet for my distribution transformer,
and I have a few questions about ballasting. I am planning on using two GE 30
amp 580 volt cut-core variacs as inductors, but as I understand this can result
in nasty 60hz resonance in the 240 volt circuit. I have access to a .25 ohm 160
amp dynamic braking resistor that I am planning on putting in series with the
variacs. Would this work ok? Would it be just as effective to put a few oven
elements in parallel? Is this something that I just have to rig up and test to
see what works best?

Also, Does anyone out there have any GE/Yokogawa switchboard volt meters for
sale?

Thanks,
Jim