Re: Buzzing xfmrs

Original poster: "Alex Crow by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alexcrow-at-blueyonder.co.uk>

Matt,

You can't do this. It isn't possible to reverse a low-votage tranny and get a
HT one, since

1 - The Mains side is not insulated enough to output more than a few hundred
V.

2 - The LV side does not have enough turns to be run at 240v - you need a
certain number of turns per volt, or the core goes into saturation (= nutty
current draw and buzzing).

3 - Following on from the former, the core is too small for any decent level
of power - it's designed for the 20 watts or so and that's it. You're not
going to be able to make a 1kVA plate tranny out of this core.

You need a real plate Xfrmr, or perhaps a microwave oven one - but you need
to be very, very careful with these since that have no current limit and
could kill you instantly.

Be careful

Alex