RE: Drying tranny oil - where did the tranny oil come from in the first place....

Original poster: "David Halliday by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dh-at-synthstuff-dot-com>

I saw a couple of answers here and I would hate to throw a wet blanket on
this but is there some provenance to the oil - a certification that it is
not PCB contaminated?

Poly Chlorinated Biphenyl contaminated oil is death ( instant liver cancer )
and it is very expensive to get rid of legally in the U.S. - someone who was
"giving away" something may be trying to get out from underneath these
expenses by shifting the problem to someone else.  If you know who the
source was, ask them for an MSDS - this is a Material Safety Data Sheet and
they are required to keep them on hand for everything they have. Federal Law
required.  This is serious s*&^

If it turns out to be pure Mineral oil or something like that, fine but for
your own sake, drill these people, make absolutely sure that you know where
this stuff came from.

Also, the issue here is that PCBs made *excellent* transformer oil - good
heat-sink characteristics, good insulator, didn't break down with heat or
time.  Only issue was a major incidence of Cancer with people who were
exposed to it...