Re: Where can I find...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 10:14 PM
Subject: Re: Where can I find...

> Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

> Hi Jim / All
>
> .
> >
> > Second choice: a feed store, where you can buy mineral oil (used as a
> > laxative for farm animals) by the gallon
> >

> I've often wondered, but never got around to asking: is this what is
>
> known in the UK as "liquid paraffin"?  Certainly sounds like what I
>
> use for a horse drench...

Assuming it's not what we call kerosine...(although Kerosine will work just
fine as a dielectric... It's just a bit more flammable).
If your liquid paraffin is the stuff you can burn in a stove or lamp, then
it's kerosine.

When it comes right down to it, almost any liquid hydrocarbon (including
butane at 0C, gasoline, hexane, petroleum ether, diesel fuel, #2 heating
oil, or heavy ship bunker fuel) will work as a dielectric.  Its more a
matter of handling convenience, hazard (longer chains are better... lower
flash point), etc.